The inspiration for this came from Sir Jamie Oliver's Superfood Salad, I have put my own twist on it. Try for large family gatherings ideal all year round you can serve the quinoa and roasted veg hot if you prefer.
Author: Jamie Oliver
Recipe type: Salad
Serves: 8-10 people
- 1 large packet of organic dark green/red salad leaves
- 700g sweet potatoes, leave the skin on cut lengthways into 8-10 slives
- 3 red onions, peeled and cut into 6 segments
- 2 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbs coconut oil
- Sea Salt
- 200g quinoa
- 400ml stock (use 1 organic vegetable stock cube/homemade stock)
- ½ bag fresh beansprouts, wok cooked with a little coconut oil for 2-3 mins
- 50g toasted pine nuts
- large handful coriander diced
- Dressing (combine the following in a small jug)
- 4 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 limes, juice and zest
- 2 tbsp organic balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp dried chilli flakes (or a fresh red chilli deseeded and finely sliced)
- 1 punnet salad cress
- few sprigs of coriander
- reserved pine nuts
- Preheat oven to 425F/200C
- Take two baking sheets warm 1 tbs of coconut oil in each (place in the reheated oven for 1 min)
- Put the sweet potato in one tray and the red onions in another.
- Sprinkle equal quantities of the spices over them and season with sea salt
- Roast the sweet potatoes for 25-30 mins and the red onions for 15-20 till the vegetables are sort in the centre and nicely browned. Remove form the oven and leave to cool
- Place the rinsed quinoa in a saucepan with the stock bring to the boil and simmer for 10-15mins, allow to cool
- Add the cooked beansprouts, pine nuts (NB reserve a small amount to garnish) and coriander to the quinoa and then pour in the dressing.
- On a large platter sprinkle over the lettuce leaves and then arrange the sweet potato and onion segments attractively around the edge.
- In the centre heap the quinoa and garnish generously with the salad cress, reserved pine nuts and coriander.