Damp Canadian Ginger Bread
My go to gingerbread recipe has always been Delia Smith's Damp Jamaican Gingerbread, here I've replaced the golden syrup and treacle with their healthier sisters maple syrup and good quality honey. I think it retains that wonderful damp dark gingerbread thing but really cuts back on the processed sugar content. I love this pure and unadulterated, my Mum enjoys this with a hunk of cheese and my daughters like it drizzled with a healthier lemon icing.
Recipe type: Cakes & Bakes
Serves: 9 slices
- 350g (3/4lb)wholewheat flour
- 175g (6oz) good quality unsalted butter
- 2 level tsps ground ginger
- 2 level tsps ground cinammon
- ⅛ of nutmeg, grated
- 1 level teaspoon bicarb of soda
- 4 tablespoons milk/almond milk
- 175g (6oz) maple syrup
- 175g (6oz) good quality honey
- 50g (2oz) xylitol (optional)
- 2 size 1 eggs, lightly beaten
- Optional Lemon Icing
- 110g (4oz) Natural Icing Sugar Alternative ie Sukrin/Natvia
- juice and zest of 11/2 lemons
- Preheat oven to 325F (170C)
- Take a large heavy bottomed pan and measure directly into it the honey, maple syrup, butter xylitol, (if using) and 150ml (1/4 pint) water.
- Heat gently until the butter has melted, stirring regularly to combine the ingredients. ENSURE MIXTURE IS NOT ALLOWED TO BOIL .
- Now sieve all the dry ingredients in a large bowl
- Pour the milk over the bicarb of soda and set to one side
- Now make a well in the flour mixture and pour the syrup mixture into the well.
- Fold in very well using the figure of eight method to ensure you keep the air in your mixture.
- Once smooth gently add the beaten eggs and lastly the bicarb of soda and milk.
- Pour the cake mixture into a lined 24x24cm square baking tin
- Bake in the centre of your pre-heated oven for 1hr, or until the gingerbread is well risen, springy to the touch and a skewer inserted int the entire of the cake comes out clean
- Allow to cool in tin and then slice into squares or if using the icing combine the icing sugar with the juice of 11/2 lemons and drizzle all over the gingerbread sprinkle with the lemon zest.
- Allow to set before slicing into squares