When only chocolate cake will do. This is the most simple recipe for chocolate cake I know. It is exactly how I like my chocolate cake unadulterated by buttercream, icings, fondants, creams and hence a lot lighter on calories/fats.That said if you really must have something on your cake double this recipe use 2 of the suggested round tins and sandwich together with the best quality raspberry jam you can afford (better still make your own!). Soft whipped cream too if its a celebratory cake.
Recipe type: Cakes & Bakes
Serves: 8 slices
- 175g/6oz self raising flour (spelt/rice/quinoa flour) if you only have plain add 2 scant tsps of baking powder
- 115g/6oz xylitol/raw honey/organic maple syrup
- 115g/4oz softened organic butter
- 2 tbs almond milk
- Line a 15cm round cake tin
- Preheat oven to 300f/150c
- Using an electric whisk or balloon whisk whip together the eggs, xylitol/maple syrup/honey,soft butter and almond milk.
- Once well combined gently fold in the sifted self raising flour and spoon into the prepared tin
- Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour, or until a skewer instead into the centre of the cake comes out clean.