Brown Lentil & Tomato Soup
I like hearty thick stew like soups, and this is my new favourite! If you prefer your soup more liquid simply add more stock to suit.
Recipe type: Soup
Serves: 6 servings
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 leek (pale part only), thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 300g green or brown lentils, rinsed, drained
- 2 Litre vegetable stock (homemade/best quality you can get)
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 400g can cannellini beans, rinsed, drained
- 4 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp cumin
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- ⅓ cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the leek, carrot and celery, then cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes until softened.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the lentils and stock and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer gently for 1 hour, until the lentils are tender.
- Add the tomato, cannellini beans, coriander, paprika, cumin and sea salt and pepper to the pan, then cook, stirring occasionally, for a further 20 minutes or until soup is thick. Taste for spices and seasoning, then stir in half the parsley.
- Serve in soup bowls and top with remaining parsley