This was my Granny Ferguson's recipe and a firm family favourite, traditionally now served every Christmas Day. It's gorgeous on its own of as my Granny Ferguson served it with a loaf of lovely wheaten bread.
Recipe type: Soup
Serves: 6-8 bowls
- x4 425g tinned/jar asparagus spears (choose best quality)
- x2 medium red onions finely diced
- x1 stalk celery finely diced
- x1 tsp coconut oil
- x 100ml vegetable stock (x1 organic vegetable stock cube dissolved i n100ml boiling water)
- x 100ml double cream
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the coconut oil in a large saucepan
- Add the diced onion and celery and fry gently for 4-5mins until the vegetables are cooked and opaque but not browned
- Drain the asparagus spears, reserve the asparagus water for use later
- Add the spears and continue to cook gently for another 10 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock
- Pour the content of your saucepan into a food processor and blend until smooth
- Return to your saucepan and add the asparagus water.
- Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Allow to simmer on a low heat for another 10-15 minutes.
- Take off the heat stir though the double cream
- Serve immediately with a dollop of greek yoghurt/creme fruit and a spear of freshly steamed asparagus