These title golden squares of potato are basically lazy chef's chips. Not only do they not require frying, both healthier and less tedious, all the prep and part of the cooking can be done up to a day in advance making them perfect for when you are entertaining. Word of caution they are very popular so I recommend you make more than you think you'll need, they also reheat really well in a very hot oven for 5 minutes.
Recipe type: Accompaniments
Serves: 8-10 people
- 1kg maris piper potaotes, peeled
- 6 tbs coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 425f/220c
- Dice the potatoes into 2cm squares
- In batches of approximately 4 potatoes worth cook for 2-3 mins in boiling water
- once part cooked carefully drain and careful not to crumble the potato squares put on a clean tea towel to absorb any leftover water
- continue till all the potato squares have been part cooked, drained and dried
- at this stage the potatoes can be put on baking sheets/large platters cling filmed and refrigerated until required.
- Place 2 tbs coconut oil in 3 baking trays and heat in your preheated oven for 1 minute
- Carefully transfer the potato squares to the trays careful not to over cram them or stack on top of one another.
- Spoon the oil over the top of the potatoes, you can add more oil if required, sprinkle generously with sea salt granules and roast for 40-45mins till golden brown and crispy