Pearled Spelt & Vegetable Soup
My Mum makes this soup every winter, she will literally use any vegetable in the fridge, along with the good old potato and barley bring out the largest saucepan and let it simmer away on the Aga all morning.I think it's an Irish thing adding potatoes to soup, here I've used sweet potatoes packed with Vitamin A, C and fibre and pearled spelt for its rich nutty flavour.
Serves: 6-8 servings
- 200g pearled spelt (you can use pearl barley here but you will need to cook the soup for an extra 10-15 mins)
- 2 medium organic onions, any colour though I like red, diced
- 2 large carrots, sliced into medium thickness rounds
- 1 bunch of asparagus, sliced similar to the carrots
- 1 stalk of celery, sliced as above
- 2 sweet potato, peeled and cut into walnut sized cubes
- 850ml-1L vegetable stock (either homemade or organic)
- 2 bay leaves
- Sea Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp
- 1 handful of chopped parsley
- Warm 1 tsp of coconut oil in a heavy bottomed saucepan and the onions.
- Pour over 3-4 tbs of water and steam fry(cook at a high heat in the water for 6-8 minutes until soft and translucent, stir regularly)
- Add the pearled spelt stir to combine and then add the stock, followed by all the other ingredients except the parsley.
- Bring to the boil then simmer for 20-25 minutes, until the barley and vegetables are cooked through.
- Just before serving stir through the parsley, season if necessary.
- Serve as is or with some hunks of fresh, warm bread.
You can almost stand your spoon up in this soup, feel free to add more stock/water at the end of the cooking if you prefer a more liquid soup.