The secret to perfect gravy is to ensure non of the meat's fat, particularly lamb, gets into the gravy, it leaves a greasy tasting gravy so if possible use a gravy separator.
Recipe type: Sauces
Serves: 6-8 people
- 300ml Organic/homemade vegetable stock
- 50mls (splash) red wine (optional)
- 2 tbs tapioca flour
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Using a gravy separator or a jug pour any liquid from the meats roasting tray into it
- Place the roasting tin on your hob and pour in the vegetable stock and the red wine,if using.
- Bring to the boil then simmer , scraping the base of the tray to loosen and residue on the tin.
- Pour this into the separator or jug.
- Using either 2 tbs of fat from the seperator/top of the jug or 1 tbs of coconut oil melt in the base of the tray, then stir in the flour till it begins to brown.
- Gradually pour in the juices from the seperator/jug (ensure only the juice not the fat)whisking as you pour till you have a smooth gravy of the desired consistency.
To sweeten and help thicken the gravy you can add pureed vegetables (i.e. carrot and onion) to your gravy before serving.