Fruit Bowl Flapjacks
I hate waste, particularly expensive fruit. So I decided to use my overripe fruit bowl to create these really good flapjacks. Basically any fruit goes, just remember fruits like apples and pears need to be grated, otherwise your flapjacks won't bind as well, whole fruits like nectarines, pineapples need to be sliced into small cubes. This recipe also works well with blueberries, raspberries and blackberries.
Recipe type: Cakes & Bakes
Serves: 16 slices
- 4oz (100g) maple syrup/ honey (or half and half)
- 4oz (100g) butter
- 500-700g mixed fruit (for this recipe I used 150g pineapple, 2 apples, 1 pear & 1 nectarine) grate apples or pears and dice all other fruit into 1cm cubes.
- 16oz whole oats (or porridge oats)
- 1 heaped teaspoon of cinammon
- Preheat oven to 300F/150C/Gas Mark 2
- Place all the ingredients except for the oats in a large saucepan and heat gently until the butter has melted
- Stir through the oats, ensuring the ingredients are well combined
- Now pour the mixture into a lined square/oblong baking tin (approx 18cm/7inches) and at least 4cm/11/2inches deep.
- Ensure you press the mixture down well with the back of a spoon or your hand, this helps the flapjack to hold together once baked.
- Bake on the centre shelf of your oven for 40-45 minutes.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes slice into squares or bars then leave (if you can resist!) till the flapjacks have cooled.