Chocolate Beetroot Cake
it looks like a chocolate cake, it smells like a chocolate cake....it tastes like a chocolate cake. Dense, moist and very moorish the beetroot gives this chocolate cake a dense texture and lovely red velvet tinge.
Recipe type: cakes and bakes
- 1 large cooked beetroot (approx 175g)
- 100g dark chocolate, minimum70% cocoa
- 11/2 tbs strong coffee
- 200ml maple syrup/raw honey/xylitol
- 150g plain unrefined flour (I used ½ wholemeal & ½ spelt)
- 50g ground almonds
- 75g cocoa
- 2 tsps baking powder
- pinch sea salt
- 3 free range eggs, beaten
- 100ml organic sunflower oil
- 100ml natural yoghurt
- preheat the oven to 375f/190c
- place the maple syrup, dark chocolate and coffee in a saucepan, warm gently and stir to melt the chocolate, take off the heat and allow to cool slightly
- blend the beetroot coarsely in a food processor, alternatively grate
- sieve the flour, ground almond, baking powder and cocoa into a large mixing bowl
- stir the oil and yoghurt into the beaten egg and add to the maple syrup mixture along with the blended beetroot stir.
- finally fold in the dry mixture and pour into a 900g loaf tin
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45mins-1hr until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean
- Allow to cool slightly before transferring to a cooling tray.