Chocolate & Banana Squares
These are a Davina McCall recipe, I liked the simplicity of this recipe, the fewer the ingredients for me the better and most importantly these ingredients are unprocessed and natural....oh and by the way they taste delicious and that's not just my opinion but those of my three sweet toothed daughters! I included coffee and walnuts in mine, just a persona preference but it worked really well.
Recipe type: Cakes and Bakes
Serves: 16 squares
- 200g wholemeal flour
- 50g organic cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- pinch sea salt
- 180g organic butter
- 180g maple syrup
- 3 small fairly ripe bananas, mashed with a fork
- 5 free range eggs
- 2 tbsp strong black coffee
- 50g chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 180C/325F, 160C/320F fan/gas 4. Line a 24cm x 24cm traybake tin with baking parchment.
- Sift the flour, cocoa and baking powder into a bowl and add a pinch of salt. Put the butter in a small pan and melt it over a gentle heat. Remove the pan from the heat, stir in the maple syrup, then mix in the mashed bananas,coffee and chopped walnuts if your including them.
- Break the eggs into a large bowl and whisk until frothy. Add the dry ingredients, then the butter, syrup and banana mixture and mix thoroughly. Pour into the prepared tin and spread it into an even layer.
- Bake the cake in the oven for about 40 minutes until it is well risen, springy to touch and shrinking away from the sides slightly. Leave it to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack. Cut the sponge into 16 squares – or smaller pieces if you want to reduce the calorie count per serving. Store in an airtight tin.