Okay so this is basically my Sunshine Marmalade for the brave. It is exactly the same but without any added sweetness. It came about when on the umpteenth time I was making my marmalade I wondered whether it needed the extra sweetness and low and behold I realised it didn't. If this is your first attempt at healthy/homemade conserves feel free to start with my recipe for Sunshine Marmalade and then as you like reduce the sugar content till voila you're making orange spread.
Recipe type: Conserves
Serves: 4 jars
- 6 organic oranges
- 1cup/230ml water
- Peel each orange, retain the rinds.
- Slice in half and put the oranges, skin , seeds the lot in a food processor
- Combine till you have a smooth puree
- Slice the rinds into matchsticks
- Pour puree, rind and water into a heavy-bottomed saucepan and bring the mixture to a boil
- Stir to ensure no bits are sticking to the saucepan base and then lower to minimum heat and simmer for 11/2hr uncovered till the rinds are completely soft.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool
- Pour into jars and refrigerate
- Keeps for approx 1 month