Nigerian Beef Skewers
Known as Nigerian Suyu, this is popular street food in Nigeria. I love this Jamie Oliver recipe as its totally easy to prepare and tastes amazing, as you may imagine I've made a few amendments swapping peanuts for any other form of nut and i use Szechuan peppercorns.
Author: Jamie Oliver
Recipe type: Mains/BBQ
Serves: 32 mini kebabs
- 1kg grass-fed beef rump, diced into approx 1inch cubes (ideally by this from your local farm shop where most are more than happy to dice it for you)
- 500g ripe tomatoes , (mixed colours if possible)
- ½ red cabbage
- ½ white cabbage
- 1 red onion
- 1 cucumber
- 2 lemons
- extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- olive oil
- For the marinade:
- 10 uda pods or Szechuan peppercorns
- 400g roasted nuts (try to avoid peanuts good nuts for this recipe include cashews, macadamia,pine nuts. NB If you can't buy them roasted just heat in a dry saucepan over a high heat for several minutes till the nuts have browned BEWARE IT DOESNT TAKE LONG!)
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion granules
- 1 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 organic fish or chicken stock cube
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 thumb-sized piece of ginger
- 1 fresh green chilli
- 1 fresh red chilli
- 1 green pepper
- 1 spring onion
- You will need:
- 32 small wooden skewers soaked in cold water for around 1hr
- To make the salad:-
- finely slice the tomatoes, then trim and finely shred the cabbage.
- peel and finely slice the onion, then finely slice the cucumber.
- place into a large bowl with a squeeze of lemon juice, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- To make the marinade,
- place the uda pods/Szechuan peppercorns peanuts, spices & stock cube in a food processor and then blitz for 5 to 10 minutes to a rough powder.
- Peel and roughly chop the onion, garlic and ginger.
- Trim and deseed the chillies and pepper, then roughly chop.
- Trim and roughly chop the spring onion.
- Add it all to the liquidiser and blitz until smooth.
- Transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl and turn the beef in the marinade until well coated, then thread 4 to 5 slices onto each soaked skewer.
- Place on a tray, cover and pop in the fridge to marinate for around 3 hours.
- About an hour before you're ready to eat, remove the beef and allow to return to room temperature then simply grill or BBQ for around 4 minutes on either side.
- Serve at once piled high.
- Lovely accompanied with my sautéed potatoes and mustard cream (see recipes)