Carrot mash with black beans and fried onions
This is a Nigel Slater recipe, it looks gorgeous, tastes brilliant and is bursting with goodness and energy!
Recipe type: Accompaniment
Serves: 6 portions
- 8-10 medium-large carrots, peeled and chopped into quarters
- 1 tbsp chopped dill
- x1 tin black beans
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- small bunch coriander, chopped (several leaves reserved for garnish)
- 2 red onions, peeled and sliced into rings
- 2 tsps mustard seeds
- 2 tsps chilli flakes
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to season
- Place carrot quarters in a steamer and steam for 25 mins, until really soft
- Meanwhile warm the coconut oil in a small pan add the garlic and fry f or 1 min
- Add the rinsed blackbeans, bring to the boil with 3 tbsp of the water used for steaming the carrots.
- Reduce to a simmer and season with sea salt.
- In a large frying pan add 1tsp coconut oil, when melted add the mustard seeds and fry for 1 min the seeds should start popping.
- Next add the onions and fry for several minutes till brown and slightly sticky.
- Stir in the chilli flakes, take off heat.
- Mash the carrots well with ¾ tbsp of the water used to steam the carrots.
- Add the dill and season well with sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Add the chopped coriander to the blackbeans stir and remove from heat.
- Pour into a serving dish, spoon over the blackbeans and fried onions, sprinkle with the remaining coriander leaves.
- Serve immediately.
- I love this dish with baked salmon or ginger & chilli spatchcock chicken (see my recipe section)