A simple twist on this Italian dish I use plain/Greek yoghurt rather than cream to totally transform this dish. As with most recipes quality ingredients is key, hunt out your local farmshop for the lardons and go for a good quality fresh or dry pasta.
Serves: 4-6 people
- 300g lardons
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 250g fresh/dry penne
- 4 free range egg yolks
- 125g finely grated parmesan
- 3 tbs plain/Greek yoghurt
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- bring a large pan of water to the boil and add your penne, cook according to packet instructions
- in a large saucepan warm the coconut oil over a high heat and add the lardons, fry until they are well cooked and crispy at the edges, remove for the heat.
- meanwhile put the egg yolks, 100g of the grated parmesan and yoghurt in a bowl and stir to combine
- season well with freshly ground pepper and sea salt
- When the pasta is ready, drain most of the water, but leave ⅘ tablespoons with the pasta in the pan.
- Quickly add the lardons and any juices from the pan and the egg mixture and fold everything in gently.
- Ladle into warmed serving bowls and garnish generously with the remaining parmesan, a ring of black pepper and sprinkle of sea salt.
- Serve at once.